WILDLIFE RESEARCH TECHNIQUES TRAINING’ OPPORTUNITY FOR
STUDENTS/ GRADUATES/ POST-GRADUATES/ EARLY CAREER RESEARCHERS IN NEPAL
Friends of Nature (FON) Nepal is pleased to announce a call for application for the 13th and 14th Wildlife Research Techniques Training (WRTT) for aspiring young Nepalese students and early career researchers aiming to pursue their career in wildlife research and conservation. We are looking for enthusiastic, motivated, and proactive individuals for the training. The participants will learn about the contemporary techniques and methods of wildlife research, conservation, and management through theoretical classes and ‘in situ’ field work.
• FIRST TRAINING: 1st October - 19th October 2023 (14th Ashoj - 2nd Kartik, 2080)
• SECOND TRAINING: 21st November - 9th December 2023 (5th Mangsir – 23rd Mangsir, 2080)
• Research and identification techniques of mammals, insects (butterflies), birds, herpetofauna and plants
• Research design and scientific writing
• Camera trapping, Transect survey and Sign Survey
• Introduction to Ethno-zoological survey
• Introduction to GIS, R and Bioacoustics
• Policies, acts, regulations, research needs and research priorities of wildlife management and conservation sector
• Designing and implementation of conservation outreach activities
• Scientific paper review, Power Point presentation, research ethics
Students/ graduates/ postgraduates of Zoology, Environmental Management, Environmental Science, Rural Development, Natural Resource Management, Botany, Biodiversity, Forestry, Mass Communication, and Veterinary Science.
No experience needed
Fluent in spoken and written English
EQUIPMENT AND ACCESSORIES:
Must bring a pair of trekking/hiking shoes, a laptop, and a binocular (8 to 10 X magnification and 35 to 50-degree field of view).
• Trainees must be able to work in a group, and in harsh environmental conditions.
• Trainees should not have a problem staying in remote locations during the fieldwork.
• Trainees must work as an intern for six months at FON and design wildlife related project/proposal in collaboration with FON after the training period. They will independently run the project they develop and other conservation projects too. The internship is online, and the interns are not expected to be at FON Nepal office during the internship period.
Training one (Total 14): 12 (independent competition), 1 (capitation fee*), 1 (FON Nepal)
Training two (Total 14): 12 (independent competition), 1 (capitation fee*), 1 (FON Nepal)
REGISTRATION FEE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS (Applicable only for selected trainees):
Registration fee: NPR 4,000/participant (Rupees Four thousand only)
Capitation Fee*: NPR 25,000/participant (Each unit of training has one seat reserved for organizations/ individuals who want to pay the fee and reserve the seat. The competition for these seat is limited to this group only. Please clearly mention if you are applying under this category.
Scholarship: FON Nepal is offering two scholarships (one for each training event) to deserving candidates. These scholarships will cover the registration fee. To apply, please make sure to provide valid and well-explained reasons for your request in your application.
FON Nepal will provide Lodging, fooding and accidental insurance for the trainees. The accommodation facilities will be basic, and FON Nepal anticipate that the aspiring researchers and conservationists will cope with it. Basic field guides and equipment (GPS, camera traps, spotting scope etc) will be provided on a shared basis for the duration of the training period.
• Letter of motivation (500 words maximum with your interest and future plan, simply it must tell why this training is necessary for you).
• Resume/Curriculum vitae (two pages maximum, include your recent passport size photograph. Kindly provide both primary and secondary mobile number).
• Please provide the name and contact number of one referee. FON Nepal may contact them during the evaluation process. If your referee doesn't know about your training application, your application will not be considered.
• Please send the entire document (as a single file in PDF format) to email@example.com and mention the subject as ‘FON Nepal WRTT 2023_Training 1' or ‘FON Nepal WRTT 2023_Training 2'. Applicants must clearly state whether they aim to participate in the first event or the second event. The entire application will be classified and evaluated separately for the first and second event. There will be no possibility of switching the training batch. So, we encourage all the applicants to plan and apply accordingly.
13th September 2023 (27th Bhadra 2080), 5 pm Nepal Standard Time, for both training events.
SELECTION PROCESS (only for primarily shortlisted candidates):
• Online written and interview (Date will be informed later)
• Incomplete applications will not be entertained.
• No phone calls, email and personal visits by the applicant or his/her family/ relatives will be entertained regarding the selection of the applicants (There were many candidates whose application were not assessed in the past due to this reason).
• FON Nepal reserves the authority to reject your application if any false information has been provided in the application, and FON Nepal will not justify your disqualification.